Let me tell you about the long, tumultuous relationship that I've had with newsletters for the past ten years. When I first started teaching, email newsletters weren't a thing. I typed out a double-sided newsletter every week, printed it, submitted it to my principal for approval, and then (if it was approved) I sent it home to parents in their child's take-home folder. It was time-consuming and I wondered how many parents were actually reading it.
A few years later, I switched over to emailing my newsletters. It was slightly less time-consuming because I didn't need to print anything, but the format wasn't engaging and I still wondered if anyone was actually reading what I was writing.
Fast forward to this year, and I have a hodgepodge of communication tools that I'm using with families. I use the Remind app to send reminders and quick updates, I use Seesaw for pictures and some school information, and I use e-mail for longer curriculum updates. I thought this new way of communicating would be less time-consuming, but it ended up being way more work to juggle all three communication methods.
One of our assignments asked us to try out a different method for communicating with families. I decided to use Smore, which is a website that helps you create digital newsletters. I have to tell you, it is SO EASY to use! I love that the templates are professional and engaging, it's quick and simple to add pictures and links, and you can work on it bit-by-bit throughout the week until you're ready to publish it and send it to families. Also, it will tell you which parents are actually reading it, which I love! I created a sample newsletter for our class, and I'm so excited to use it all year next year! If you're burned out on newsletters, I highly suggest you try it out. And the best part is, they offer educator discounts! I've linked my newsletter below. Take a look!
Smore Newsletter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Genius Hour: Reflection
Well, here we are at the end of our project! It really did go by in a FLASH. Get it? This process was hard, but also so much fun. Which was ...
-
For this course we had the opportunity to design our dream 21st-Century learning space that incorporated technology, without having to wo...
-
I created this sentence to exude what I hope to become at the end of this project: She captured people’s love, laughter, and light through p...
-
Well, here we are at the end of our project! It really did go by in a FLASH. Get it? This process was hard, but also so much fun. Which was ...
You are doing amazing things with Smore! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete