Monday, January 20, 2020

Genius Hour: Topic Choosing

I have 3 young children and I teach (obviously) so I feel like my time is precious and in very short supply. There are so many things on my "What Would I Do if I Had All the Time in the World" list that I didn't even know where to begin to select my top 3. BUT, I did eventually manage to narrow it down. I am a very crafty person and once upon a time B.C. (before children) I did a ton of scrapbooking. I would completely lose track of time as hours passed while I cut, organized, taped, glued, and stickered. Therefore, all three of the activities that I'm considering are artistic.

One thing I've always wanted to learn how to do is knit. I'm so envious of people who can knit beautiful scarves, hats, and accessories to give as gifts that are even better than store quality. I've received knitted blankets as presents before and I treasure them. Making something by hand for someone else is such a thoughtful and generous gift. It's always been something I've wanted to learn how to do! Plus, from a completely selfish perspective, I've been wanting a "chunky knitted blanket" for years and I refuse to pay $200+ for one. So I'd love to knit my way into big, big savings.

Something else that's interested me for a long time is embroidery. Embroidery is such a useful skill when it comes to creating beautiful things. I've even seen artists embroider family portraits! We're taking our kids to Disney this summer for the first time, and I saw a lovely blanket that someone made by embroidering the autographs of all of the Disney characters that they met. I mean, how creative is that?? It would be such a wonderful way to preserve the memories made on such a special trip.

The last activity that I'm considering is photography. I've always loved taking pictures and photography has a special place in my heart because my grandmother was a professional photographer. I have a "professional grade" camera, but I really don't know how to use it. I would love to learn how to manually take photos and edit them myself (i.e. no auto mode and no editing presets!) Speaking from a sentimental mom perspective, time goes by so fast and I'd love to beautifully document our "everyday life" moments while my children are little.

So, next step: spend some time with each activity and choose my Genius Hour project. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Genius Hour: Reflection

Well, here we are at the end of our project! It really did go by in a FLASH. Get it? This process was hard, but also so much fun. Which was ...