On Sunday I took my daughter to her friend's pink princess birthday party and she had a blast. I took photos of the girls with props in front of a unicorn backdrop. It was actually a sunny day (the first time we'd seen the sun in about 2 weeks - darn Chicago winters!) and there were no curtains or blinds in the living room, so it was challenging to avoid shadows on the girls' faces. I don't want to post pictures of the other girls without their parents' permission, so I'll share the test photo that I took of my daughter while I was adjusting my ISO, shutter speed, and focus (don't I sound like a professional already??). I was easily able to shoot the photos in manual mode, which was my goal, because the girls actually did a great job of standing still for the mini photo shoot. However, if I had tried to take candids in manual, I imagine it would have been a lot more difficult.
Well, the big problem with choosing photography as my genius hour topic in winter is that there is veeeery little daylight to work with. Especially because my free time to work on this is at night after my kids go to bed. Something that I've found that works pretty well is to try to take photos as soon as I get home before I need to chauffeur my kids to their various activities, and then edit at night when I don't need the daylight. While my kids were eating one day, I snuck out to the lake in our backyard to take some pictures of the geese resting on the lake in the fog. What I was seeing with my eyes was beautiful, but every picture I took failed to capture what I was seeing in person. It was really frustrating. I'm guessing it's because my camera lens wasn't able to zoom in enough, but I don't have an extra thousand dollars available for a new lens, so I'll have to push distance photography to the backburner for now.
| Can you even see the geese?? Better try a magnifying glass. |
So in summation, my routine isn't perfected yet, but I'm finding the time to research, learn, and practice. I'm excited to continue on my journey!
As much as you were disappointed in the lake picture...don't tell people that you were focused on the geese! I actually did not care that there were geese in it. Maybe name the photo with something that has to do with the fog to focus more on that then the geese?
ReplyDelete